Friday, April 17, 2009

Should I go to law school in Georgia or Virginia? Which is a better state to live and practice in?

I'm debating whether I should go to UGA law or a law school in Virginia. I am from the Atlanta area. What is Northern Virginia and the Virginia Beach area like? I have never been there but have heard that it's really pretty. I don't want to live in a place that's too cold or has too much traffic. I also want to live in a somewhat wealthy area, as I want to practice in estate & wealth planning. Any recommendations?


UVA is one of the nation's top law schools and you can go practice law anywhere after you get the degree. Northern Virginia has terrible traffic but lots of jobs for lawyers. Housing prices are also very high. Fairfax County, VA is one of the wealthiest in the USA.

I've lived in Northern VA, outside of VA Beach, and Atlanta. In terms of traffic, both areas of Virginia have horrendous traffic, although it's comparable to Atlanta's traffic. If the traffic is really an issue, stick with UGA. Athens doesn't have bad traffic at all. Furthermore, although you mention you want to live in a wealthy area, the cost of living for both parts of Virginia will be tough on a law school stipend. UGA may not be as great of a school for law as some of the options in VA, but monetarily and trafficwise, it may be the better option. The winters around VA Beach aren't too bad, and of course the DC area is pretty cold. Both places are great to live though.

You're not asking for much now are you? I'm sure supporters of both states will have their reasons for selecting their respective states. But if you're looking for wealth, I don't think you're going to find much better than the suburban Washington area.

Also, U of Virginia is highly rated, I would think right up there with Duke. And you've have better connections to the high rollers.

Va Beach on the Atlantic> I've been there, & it's beautiful, but mobbed with tourists from Jun -Aug, & has all of its attendant souvenir stands, tee shirt shops, & family restaurants that specialize in quantity, not necessarily quality. But once you get off of the strip, it's a very nice city.

No comments:

Post a Comment