Thursday, April 16, 2009

How does the process of procuring teacher recommendations for Law School work?

I will be applying to Law Schools this fall and I was wondering how I was supposed to go about getting recommendations from my old professors. Is it something like where I just have them write a letter and then pick it up from there? I've never collected recommendations before, so if anyone has any experience, it would be much appreciated.


Law school recommendations are not like others. Many law schools require that you register with LSAC, and have all recommendations sent to LSDAS. (See the link below.)

Certainly, you must contact former professors and inquire whether they feel able to write a strong letter of support for your applications. If and when they agree, you may then send them the materials from LSDAS, and they can then submit their letters properly, through LSAC. The letters will then be sent on to the law schools to which you are applying.

http://www.lsac.org/LSAC.asp?url=/lsac/faqs-and-support-lsdas.asp

Since you really want them to give you an answer without making them go to a big effort, it helps to talk to them in a way that they can respond to quickly. Generally, former students either call me or email me to ask for recommendations. Then if it has been a while since they graduated, I may ask them to come in to talk to me, if possible, or I may ask them to provide me with a current resume, to help me write the letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment